Seeking Tuff Roots

Our Vision: To create a healthy community of diverse and socially conscious individuals in order to steward land through sustainable development and educate through practical application.

Friday, November 03, 2006


An Alaskan Photo Essay
Valisa Higman


This is Seldovia, home to around 300 people, and lots of black dogs. Seriously, if you move to Seldovia you have to get a black dog. That way whenever your dog gets into someone's trash, chases someone's car, or kills someone's duck you can say... "wasn't my black dog."

Seldovia is beautiful. It's got ocean, mountains and trees, and lots of nice people.
For the last month I have been staying with my mom in her cute little house on the hill with a beautiful view out over Katchemak Bay.


I have become reaquointed with the ocean, and the volcanoes of my home. The sea air seems to have healed my lungs. My throat feels better. I feel better

Meet Panda: another black dog

She has the distinction of being the second dog to eat my Chaco sandals, but tried to one-up Abby by eating the underarm of my coat as well. She is also an adorable, loveable puppy, and was my near-constant companion during my stay.

I got to Seldovia in time to see the alpine tundra change color. This ridge is just a short hike from my mom's house.


I was also here for the first snow.












This is my dad's place- Schooner Beach...

Purchased in my infant years, this was my childhood stomping ground, a place of memories: climbing trees, playing cowboys and indians, looking under rocks for tidal critters ("dinosaur bugs", scary worms, red crabs, and "squigs"- our favorate little wiggly eel-fish).
This is a beach with a history. Not just a Higman history, but a history of native fish-camps, canories with chinese workers who drank from ceramic jugs and threw glass opium vials into the surf. After big tides and a lot of rain I went beach coming and was rewarded with a small brown glass bottle left over from the days when people just threw their trash in the ocean.


And this is me with my dad...













Now, what you've all been waiting for...


This is the little piece of heaven that I now own.
4.3 acres on Mine Loop Road, in a neighborhood known as "hippy hallow."


Sun hits this hillside, even this time of year.

















There is plenty of flat land on the lot, nice healthy trees, and a great view of the river valley

My land from the air

Stay tuned for news from Thailand!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home